The Gravley Life

Monday, January 09, 2006

James is such a noob

"Welcome back," I say to myself. You've probably noticed that I took a little respite from my blog. The longer I had put off posting, the more spectacular I dreaded my next post should be. However, as you can probably already tell, I gave up on that dream. It just wasn't meant to be, and you are left having to suffer my "B"-team writing.

First up: baby update. I got James' social security card in the mail yesterday. He's officially a member of our fair country. I'll try to post some picture of him later on, as I don't have on me, but he's got a little baby acne and he's bald on top with a ring of hair a la Carl Reiner. Nevertheless, he's adorable and a very well-mannered baby. We are really lucky to have him. But enough of that...

Just when I think I'm disenchanted with video games, I'm lured back in.

I watch and follow an online video series called Pure Pwnage (
http://www.purepwnage.com). I consider this to be the most creative and sincere video project on the Internet. The humor is raw and quickly became a quotable part of my vocabulary, especially when my brother is involved. Some knowledge of the gaming community is needed to wholly appreciate it, but it also stands on it's own two legs if you're a noob (someone who is new to it).

During these episode 8, the protaganist, Jeremy, plays a game of high stakes computer games against an opponent for $25.000. They're playing "Counter Strike: Source" which is packaged in with Half Life 2. I bought this game just for the novelty factor, expecting to play it a little and lose interest like all my other games, but it has gripped me. I first played through the entire HL2 single player game, which was incredible, but I really got hooked with CS:source.

Counter-Strike is basically a game where you either play on the terrorist team, who tries to plant a bomb in one of two locations on a map. Or you play on the counter-terrorist team, who tries to kill all of the terrorists before they get the bomb to explode. The concept is simple. The allure to this is how incredibly realistic the action is. Your techniques for how you move, which weapons you choose, your style of hiding versus advancing, walking silently or charging, and even making sure you don't knock over bottles to alert your enemy all have a direct very direct effect on your survival.

Dan and I love to play this game together. We played together on my parent new computers many times and last night played a game over the internet for the first time. The great part about playing with him is that we are always on the same team fighting against the others. It's a genuinely fun experience for me, and I hope it doesn't grow old for me or my brother anytime soon.

Here are a few shots of the game. Click to enlarge.

5 Comments:

  • I know he would like it. Yes...

    By Blogger Steve Gravley, at 10:38 AM  

  • Welcome back my brother... welcome back.

    Hmm... I do have the machine to handle it.

    By Blogger Jon Roberts, at 4:44 PM  

  • No Aaron, it's an exclusive club. I just joined and you can't until you go through the initiation ritual.

    That ritual involves questing to the land of Best Buy and acquiring the legendary "source". Counter Strike Source to be exact. The troll on your way out of this magical land will demand $39.99 plus an additional troll tax for it. You can cheat the troll by using your rewards coupons if you've been to this land before. But only if you have them with you, so go prepared!

    I wish you luck noble warrior! Now off you go to Best Buy!

    By Blogger Jon Roberts, at 9:16 AM  

  • Ok, ok. I had a blog dry-spell when I first brought home Audrey. So, I understand what its like. But you've had enough time, so you need to get back on the stick, and start posting kid related info on here again. My wife is getting impatient, she wants to compare.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 AM  

  • The gauntlet has been thrown... will Steve reply?

    Will we see more baby photos?

    Will he cower in the corner?

    Or will he have Chuck Norris give Pat a roundhouse kick to the head?

    By Blogger Jon Roberts, at 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home