The Gravley Life

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Learning to Over-Share

Warning: this post contains over-sharing. Read at your own risk

People have told me that I’m an optimist; that I tend to look for the good and positive in even the worst of situations. For example, I was sitting here envying one of the very few positive aspects of being a crack addicted twenty-something selling their organs for money. I’m not sure why my mind would immediately jump to this scenario, but hey, I’m just along for the ride and my
id’s in the driver’s seat. But I digress, for now…



At some point during the past three or four years, I became a student. Most of you know that I’m trying to get my degree. I’m taking one to three classes per semester which usually means I’m gone two nights each week for school in addition to studying. But that’s not where it ends… During my commutes, I learn Portuguese with my fancy new MP3 player. I’m currently on my 37th of a total of 90 30 minute lessons (it’s great fun, I love it). Additionally, at work on my breaks and late at night, I’m going to through CSS lessons. CSS is a technology that web designers use to make their websites look pretty. This is preemptive learning for my Blog’s redesign (coming later this year). Also, I’m constantly watching cooking shows, reading cooking media (all kinds), and practicing my cooking on Betsy’s unfortunate and forgiving palette. Lastly, I’m doing lots of reading and other types of research on kids and becoming a father.

I know people say that you never stop learning, but I have a feeling I might be going a little above and beyond.

I don’t know for certain why I’ve turned into this studious person, but I have three theories. First, I am trying to quench my brain’s thirst for knowledge after having wasted my adolescent education with disinterest and underachievement. It sounds good, but my second theory is just as likely. I just happened to stumble into these new interests recently, and it’s just a coincidence that I have the motive, time (barely), and means to learn all of these things where I didn’t have all three of those before.

My third theory is the strangest and least likely of the three. In my life I’ve usually clung to one vice or another for whatever reason; never more than one, but usually not less than one. For example, at one point I smoked (cigarettes, fyi), at another point I drank (during college), and at another point I played online games a lot. It’s always been something, not to the point of danger, but to the point where I could say I had a little vice. My third theory is that learning is my new vice since I don’t smoke, don’t play video games, don’t drink very much, or participate in any other “vices” that I can think of.

One thing is for sure, that crack addicted twenty-something selling their organs for money knows he or she has a problem. There can’t be any doubt in their mind that they are addicted. I envy that (and just that one aspect) because it's not that clear to me if I have an "addiction". I mean, it's not like I'm desperately hawking my wife prized possessions and selling plasma for books (…yet). Because then, I'd know for sure I had a problem.

But honestly, I don’t have "a problem", but it’s getting harder to ignore the potential considering the length of my laundry list of studies.

Who knows? Maybe I’m having a one-third life crisis - trying to stuff every moment of life with something of interest. (uh oh, there's another theory
)

5 Comments:

  • No, just self learning. Actually, here's a link of a page that is full of links to tutorials, howto's, and anything else you'd need for CSS. Evidently, this is the place for info.

    DezWozHere.com/links.html

    By Blogger Steve Gravley, at 5:30 AM  

  • That's a good site. In the past 5 months I've completele changed how I code HTML to be more XHTML friendly and I'm using CSS much more efficiently... Still building sites using tables, but using CSS to control the tables as the developers can work with that. Having exact positioned DIV's on a site for the "pure CSS" is too difficult when making sites with dynamic content, too much can go wrong. Also some CSS isn't very backwards compadable.

    Good luck with your studies! And it's a shame to hear how studying killed the videogame guy.

    *Gamer Steve has just been fragged by Student Steve*

    By Blogger Jon Roberts, at 9:39 AM  

  • *ahem* Allow me to try again.

    Majestic site my broth'a! I've been educat'n myself in the ways of the code as well. DezWoz definately here. Know what I'm say'n? Peace.

    Here's one for my lost brother who no longer understands the ways of the game'n world, lost to us in the bowls of the ed-u-ma-cation beast.

    You hear dat Junior G?

    By Blogger Jon Roberts, at 11:54 AM  

  • Mama G. here, and I had exactly the same experience. I never did homework, and sort of slid through high school and college. I hated being told what to read, and why. But...when given my own will...that was a horse of completely another color.

    Once I found out that not only could I understand some of this "stuff", but that I actually enjoyed it...I was hooked!!! I devoured gourmet cooking, sewing, refinishing furniture, art, reading, and tons of other things like a starved maniac. (Not inferring the same for you. Hehe!)

    I say, "don't worry, it's maybe just the old familial genes finially doing thier glorious tap dance to the tune of "Born Free"!

    /hugs,
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:24 AM  

  • To be honest... I tried something Steve suggested. I "followed directions" on some cooking recipes.

    I know, not very me. Anyway, one of those "complicated" dishes has made it into my normal rotation of dinners I prepare on a regular basis, and sadly, it's probably the best tasting and most nutricious. Thanks a lot Steve! =P Now I'm stuck "learning" and stuff.

    Stupid new delicious recipes... *kicks a rock down the road*

    Making me smarter and healthier... *kicks another rock*

    *sigh*

    By Blogger Jon Roberts, at 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home