The Gravley Life

Friday, September 16, 2005

Geeky Gaming stuff - read at your own risk

Those of you who know me, know that I like video games, and as such, I thought I'd let my inner pizza-scarfin' Mountain-Dew-chuggin' dweeb out for one post. Lucky you, eh.

Last night at the Tokyo Game Show, Nintendo revealed their next console's controller, which proves vastly different than today's generally accepted opinion of a normal controller.

You can't tell from the picture, but the controller "knows" where it is in space, so that you can swing it and move it and the game will respond accordingly. For example, you could be playing a tennis game where you actually swing the controller/remote to hit the ball, or if the game character is using a flashlight, you would have to move it just like a flashlight.

I can't help but think that Nintendo has gone crazy (like a fox?)! They really took a risk with this, and I hope it pays off. Personally I'm excited about this new technology. I think it will certainly provide the groundwork for some really new and creative gaming. The big uncertainty is that we don't know if developers will be able to apply it well or how solid/accurate the technology really is.

We'll see, but for now, you can visit
this website (IGN) for videos of the controller and all of the information available about it. Oh, and here's a picture of the controller with the analog stick attachment. (I guess you can attach things to it)

First person shooters will be awesome on the Revolution, that is for sure.

9 Comments:

  • Top Ten Things You Should Know Before You Buy the iPod Nano
    Number 10: The back is reflective silver, like the iPod Photo. It will scratch no matter how well you try to protect it.
    See if you can visit my site also maybe you will find some valuable information Easy money from home

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:36 AM  

  • I must have missed that part where the post was talking about the iPod nano. But I'd like to thank the previous poster for filling us in on such important matters such as scratches on something I don't own. Very thoughtful!

    As for the nintendo controller... I'd have to see it to "get it". Because I don't necessarly want to have to hold my arms a certain way to play my games... sometimes, and I know this is a stretch... I like to slack off and put no effort into playing a game. I like to call it relaxing. If I wanted a Dance-Dance revolution type of controller I'd buy one. I have a gym membership already! That is all.

    By Blogger Jon Roberts, at 7:31 AM  

  • wait a minute... was the first poster really just a bot posting spam? It seems like a real post until... Nah, I shouldn't be so critical.

    I read about that controler yesterday and at first I thought it would be cool, until I realized that to use the analog stick, you'd have to make sure your hands are close to each other. when I play games I pretty much get lazy as hell, which involves slouching, and draping my arms where ever they can be slightly elevated to keep my bloated heart pumping. So, the idea that I have to keep my hands elevated and close together, so I don't yank on the cord that is connectiong the analog stick to the remote doesn't seem appealing.

    But, with all my bitching, I have to keep reminding my self that I actually thought the iPod was a bad idea and would never succede.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:42 AM  

  • Here's a snip from an interview with Jim Merrick from Nintendo that I think will help put some of our concerns at ease:

    Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

    Jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

    So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too.

    By Blogger Steve Gravley, at 9:02 AM  

  • Well, my fears are at rest. Life is good once again!

    With the new gen 3 consoles able to play all the old games, upgrading seems like a good idea until you actually see the pricetag with the extra controllers, memory cards, new games, etc...

    Ok, depressed again.

    By Blogger Jon Roberts, at 9:50 AM  

  • What's up with downloading the games? do you get to keep them somewhere? Or is it like renting. Steve, I'm afraid that you've left too many holes in this story. I will say good day to you, sir.


    ... I said good day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 PM  

  • Excellent use of a Fez reference, Pat.

    The system comes with an internal 512MB SD with an expansion port if that's not enough. You pay for them (I don't know how much) and you have them forever. Or at least until humanity's reign on earth comes to an end...

    By Blogger Steve Gravley, at 6:30 AM  

  • So... it's a computer then.

    By Blogger Jon Roberts, at 7:35 AM  

  • Dear Steve Gravley,
    Geeky Gaming stuff - read at your own risk info is informative enough to got my attention. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking more info about ipod nano dropship. Looking forward your next info about ipod nano dropship soon. Keep posting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home