The Gravley Life

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Learning Portuguese in more steps than AA

As I mentioned in my second post of this blog, my commute renders me useless for about half of an hour twice per day. But I do not fall quietly into that mind-numbing trap of talk radio and Top 40 radio. Oh no! I elect, instead, to learn Portuguese.

I've done the research, and the best tapes available are made Pimsleur(for any language actually). The entire Portuguese course comes in three sets of thirty half hour lessons on tape or CD that costs a total of about $900. In other words, outside of my price range. So I did as any good tax payer would, and went to the library.

The tapes were not at the library, as I expected, but I did find a way to avoid dropping $900 on the course. I've documented the process if any of you wish to learn any language, not just Portuguese, since the process is the same for all of them.



As you may have ascertained, when I titled it "Wicked Easy Steps", I was being ever so slightly sarcastic.

After I'm done with Portuguese, I'll take on either Italian or Japanese. I'm not sure yet.

3 Comments:

  • nao. Eu nao posu!

    "No. I can't!"

    By Blogger Steve Gravley, at 10:35 AM  

  • That sounds like a lot of work, but your diagram made it look so easy!
    Now I have to go and find out what "net library" is. I've been a big audio books geek since I spend all my time on the computer during the day. If they have a wider selection out there in "net library" I'm never going to actually read again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:07 AM  

  • Teking yooor idfice-a, I deceided to use-a zee-a sweedish cheff borkiffier. Bork Bork Bork! Oonline-a loongeges IRE zee-a wey to go!

    By Blogger Jon Roberts, at 5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home